2008-07-01

Ticked

Saturday, after my semi sucessful yardsale, I decided to mow the grass. Since Matt is out of town for an unexpected extra week, I need to keep up with his usual duties. I was at the very end of my mowing, underneath out HUGE mulberry tree when I felt something bite my back. I brushed my hand across my back and kept moving. Later that evening, I glanced at my back and noticed something blackish. I asked my Mother in Law, who was with me at the time, and she said it looked like a very big black head. I knew then that I had been bit by a tick. It totally skeeved me out and made me itchy all over. I called my country mouse friend, Jess, who said to pour alcohol on it and just dig it out. On my way home that evening I called my neighbor, Karen, to see if she would come dig it out. How's that for a neighborly feat? I was embarrassed to ask and I am pretty sure her husband thinks I am strange, but I couldn't go to sleep knowing something was in me.

I called the doctor on call on Sunday and he said I should be fine. He claims Lyme disease in this area is VERY rare but to be safe, to come in on Monday. I did and the nurse practitioner dug out the remaining head portion of the tick. I deduced that when mowing under the mulberry tree, one must have fallen out of the tree on me. We have an over abundance of deer around here and they LOVE to come eat mulberries out of my tree. I am assuming a tick crawled off the deer and onto my tree. I just happened to be it's next target.

So now, to be safe, I called the docs office to get a round of antibiotics. I feel like a hypo, but at the same time, I'd rather be safe than sorry!!!

No comments: