2008-07-07

My Successes






Although they have been few and far between, I have actually had a few successes when it comes to my yard this year. I've managed to keep a few things alive and I've even grown, without much help, several plants. Below are my successes:

1. My Pennsylvania Wild Flowers- beginning as seeds, I scattered them throughout my yard. Just recently have they begun to show themselves. I thought some of them were weeds and was going to pull them as soon as I could get my lazy butt moving. Good thing I didn't. My brother Dennis is giving me a book to identify them.

2. My tomatoes- which have grown into monsters! I should have staked them, as I mentioned in the previous email...... but didn't until this weekend. Bad move. Point taken for next year.

3. My Day lilies. They line my drive way and are a gorgeous mix of crimson and gold. I am thinking of splitting them and growing their area. Although I didn't plant these, I didn't kill em' either. Yeah me!

4. Hydrangeas- One beautiful blue one and one limelight one. I bought both at Brenkles this year and planted them on either corner of my lot. I am hoping for big beautiful bushes some day. The blue one had been pushed to bloom in the spring..... the woman told me it wouldn't bloom again this year, however I have buds. I just hope it doesn't crap out for next year! I also have three existing bushes. Two are white and one is coming in pink. The pink one is in a VERY shaded area and I am thinking I will move it next year.

5. Mint- didn't kill it this year! WHOO HOO!

6. Dahlias and Gladiolas- Both doing well...... growing at least.

7. Some shade plants- transplanted a few from my neighbor AND bought a few purple ones for my patio area and they are living!!!

8. Rhododendrons- Transplanted and doing OK

9. Peas- the nazi threw a few out but the ones that survived are thriving!!!!! YUMMY!

10. Astilbe- semi alive..... we'll see how they do!!!

and the miracle of ALL MIRACLES--- popcorn verburnum is coming back and coming back strong!!! It has more leaves on it each day!!! YEEEEE HAA!

No comments: