2010-07-03

HAPPY FOURTH!

This morning as we were preparing to go to all of the picnics we were invited to this weekend, we got an awesome symbol of this land that we love.  My hubby started calling the kids to "COME LOOK".  There in our yard was a momma wild turkey and her 5 babies.  They were so cute and adorable.  My kids wanted to run out and pet them.  I used this time as a teachable moment concerning wild animals and especially wild animal mommas and their babies. 

We stepped out for a few hours and on our way home we had to stop for about 5 minutes a street over.  This time three mommas and about 10 babies made their way across the street.  Again, no words can explain how adorable and fuzzy the babies looked. 

I thought it was kind of ironic that our national mascot was going to be the wild turkey and here, on the weekend celebrating our freedom, is a momma turkey and baby turkeys in my yard.  Then a friend sent me a note saying that turkeys are a symbol of sacrifice to a cause or a symbol of a gift.  Both appropriate as I celebrate all those who have died for our freedom and those who still live with the battle scars internal and external.  Thank you to both of my brothers, Norb and Dennis, for their sacrifices and losses.  We are forever greatful to you.      

No comments: