2010-06-11

Poison Ivy

I've never known what poison ivy looks like. I mean I know the rule, "leaves of three, let it be", however, there are other less problematic plants that have leaves of three. I have asked several of my friends who are "outdoorsy", but no one could ever point it out.

Last week, my husband and I went on a "Venture Outdoors" hike (http://www.ventureoutdoors.org/). It was really awesome. The lovely guide pointed out poison ivy along the trail. Hubby bared his forearm, which is totally covered in the itchy rash. The crowd oohed and ahhed at the sight of this little plant and it's wrath.

I'm so thankful the guide pointed out what it looks like, because the very next day, as I was getting out of my car, I saw some. It is along the driveway in what I refer to as "my woods". My Woods is a small (maybe 6-8 feet) area between my driveway and my neighbors yard where we let the plants do what they do naturally. It provides a nice barrier between yards and we attract quite a bit of birds (what ever the cats don't get), squirrels and other critters. It makes us feel a little more secluded in our suburban neighborhood and we like it.

Yesterday, my brothers came to pick some things up I was storing for them. My one brother, Dennis is super "outdoorsy". He was standing in my driveway and pointed out how the poison ivy has taken the liberty of starting to climb our oak tree in "my woods". I challenged him because there is also another vine on it. Calmly he showed me the difference in the two. By George, there is a difference.

At this point I am looking for "green" ways to get rid of it. I've read boiling water.... but not sure that will do anything. In the mean time, I am now wise to it's appearance. I am hoping I excape this season WITHOUT any of it. This is more than I can say for hubby.

No comments: