2010-05-26

HERBS!

This year I have decided to plant a true herb garden. Each year, I toy with this idea and each year, I end up tucking a few herbs in with my veggies. However, this year, I've made the switch. I made a "real" herb garden.

Out in the front of my house is a patch of garden that holds some ornamental grasses and then whatever I choose to put in there. Spring time usually sprouts a few crocus, lots of daffodils and now some tulips in that area. Last year, I learned my lesson as I planted my hot peppers around the ornamental grasses. Within the first few weeks of summer, the ornamental grasses had taken over. Luckily I was able to still harvest some peppers, but they were delayed in producing. Not a bad thing overall, just an observation.

This week, I dug up two of the grasses that flanked either side of this area and replanted them all together on one side. This left a vast area for planting all of my herbs. I excitedly went to the garden center and bought some new herbs I'd never had before, like Anise Hyssop, Cat Mint, Cat Nip and a dwarf Curry Plant, and some old favorites like Cilantro, Parsley, etc. I sprouted a few favorites like Dill and three different types of Basil. Although, the Basil is currently in the back in the garden and will be moved up once it grows a bit. I also had my Oregano plant survive winter and resprout. It is huge and GORGEOUS! It too is in the back with the veggies, however, I will be moving it out to the front. I can't wait! FINALLY!!! My own herb garden!

No comments: