2010-05-24

The Helicopters Have Sprouted!

Every year I love the sight of the "helicopters" falling to the ground in masses. By helicopters I mean the lovely maple tree seeds. We used to call them helicopters when I was a kid. Anyway, they make an awesome showing as the wind blows and they fall by the hundreds, maybe even thousands.

The problem lies several weeks later when I spend at least a week pulling the new sproutlets out of the ground. Part of me feels very murderous as I am pulling new life from the ground and killing it. However, I do not want a forest of maples growing in my house. Afterall, the ground literally looks as if it has been taken over by a maple ground cover. Seriously, Mother Nature is abundant and these little suckers prove that theory!

I spent today pulling maples out of the garden beds and then planting in what I really wanted in them, which was veggies and herbs. I still have many more maples to pull..... but at least I got it started!

No comments: