2008-05-14

Ivy- Schmivy

Yesterday I decided to have my mushroom manure and top soil delivered for my "cutting garden" in the front of the house. Since I ordered it yesterday morning, the delivery truck could only bring it in the afternoon...... no problem but I just got a late start to my gardening day. It was OK though because I had time to run the the nursery. AHHHH the Nursery. So much to take in, and EVERYTHING I wanted, was for HOT sun areas..... not my partial to mostly shade area. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, my "cutting garden" has turned into a shade garden. I guess the cutting garden will just have to be moved somewhere else.

For my space that was 12 ft by 15 ft, I purchased a popcorn viburnum, a few columbine, some colorful hostas, Astilbe and some mini pansies. I moved my dwarf lilac from the back to the front and completed the look. I filled in with some bulbs of Gladiolas and Dahalia's but am thinking I will have to dig them up and transplant them. I don't think this area will get enough sunlight to support them, but we'll see!!! I am also planning something else for the bare section in the middle of the space, but cannot talk about it yet. If matt reads this, which I am SURE he does not, but if he does, he'll get all up in arms...... so it is best left a surprise all around!!!

I spent the first part of the afternoon pulling out the remainder of the crappy ivy. I know every thing has it's place, however a beautiful plot along the front of my cottage style house is NOT the place for ivy. I think the neighbors think I am a trucker as all of the explatives I could think of flew from my mouth as I pulled each and every root of the stinking ivy out!!!! Then there were the tree roots with which to contend. ARGH, Charlie Brown did that suck!!! But I think I got most of them out and I will have to wrestle the rest out as they rear their ugly heads.... hopefully not too many are left...... However the plot next to the one I just pulled up still has that crap. I hope like hell that I can keep it at bay!!!

My bones are hurting today but I am living up to my Native American name that my Aunt gave to me, "li'l buzzing green thumb" and heading out to sow up a tomato garden like you've never seen before....... especially since I have 25,000 plants!!!! I am going to use the "square foot" method and hopefully minimize my digging and hauling of manure. I promise to post pictures soon.

No comments: