2010-04-18

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle or just compost!

The past two weeks I've been in charge of garbage. Not a job I readily accept, but in this instance, I have no choice. Hubby is out of town for work and so his "chores" fall on me. As I collected the garbage bags out of the upstairs garbage can and the kitchen garbage can, I was quite surprised. Everything I had to go to the street didn't even fill up one bag. I thought, surely I forgot about a few bags I must have hauled out to the garage and into the "big" cans. But, when I got there, I was surprised to see NOTHING! I then grabbed the two blue containers of recycling, which was overflowing. HMMMMM, I thought. I guess this week I did my job for Mother Earth.

My compost bin in the kitchen needs emptied and I began thinking how much garbage would be spared from the landfill if each person tried to only have one bag of garbage per week. The thought of something like that catching on, is probably out of this world impossible. However, if everyone could learn to compost, there would be much less waste. Less waste in the landfill, yeah, but even more so than that, less consumption of gas to pick up dirt, less chemicals being used to kill synergistic microbes needed for healthy plants, less money being spent on gardening needs, less.... well you get the point. We could use what we have and make our yards better with garbage. Yes you read that right..... GARBAGE!

Let's commemorate Mother Earth this week by attempting to lessen our garbage and maybe learn to compost.

2 comments:

Matt said...

FYI -- the garbage is like that every week. The garbage would fit in the small blue bin and the recycling in the big trash can. Now that you have all this practice maybe you can continue with this chore...

daniinez said...

ha ha ha!!! you need to start learning about where to put stuff when you get back! RECYCLE EVERYTHING!!!!!