2012-05-29

Memorial Day Madness 2012- The Year The Mayans Killed Me- Part Two

So as you can tell this whole Mayan Calendar thing has got me enthralled. I feel like I am prettying up my yard for the end. End of what? Probably just the year 2012, but just in case, I'll have some food too. Back to Memorial Day Madness (MDM)........ Saturday morning was a god sent. The temp at 10 am felt like the 90's. We stood at the kids soccer game contemplating what we were going to do. The kids saw the pool and knew it was going to open, so I skipped (GASP) the MDM on Saturday. Well at least I skipped it until we got home from the pool. Hub had dug out the ditch in the back for out dry creek bed. After grabbing a bite to eat, we headed out for river rock. Lots and lots of rock later, we had our dry river bed. Sunday, I FINALLY tackled my garden. I removed all the dirt from the bed and started sifting it. In those moments of sifting on my makeshift screen, I had flashbacks of my grandfather. He would sift his dirt and we all thought it was funny. Now I sit sifting dirt. However, it became clear quite quickly that this was going to be a LONG project. This invasive weed that had taken over my garden is everywhere and has so many tiny sprouts that I easily miss. For the sake of my poor seedlings that are awaiting planting, I forgo the sifting for now. We use new dirt and mix it with manure and compost. but we need more and we are late for dinner with hubs family. Monday, actual Memorial Day, kids go with pap to see my brother, cousin, & uncle march in the Millvale parade. Hub and i go back to the garden center. Hub is beat. So we buy the last of our needed supplies and head home. I added the remaining dirt to the garden bed and FINALLY plant my plants. Well in our 4x11 garden bed I planted all tomatoes, with some to spare. I then had enough dirt to start one of my new beds. Hub agreed to tear out one section of grass by the back door to house the remaining three garden beds. So with one down, I got my crops in.... Except for my cukes..... More about that soon. I plan to set up one bed for just herbs and the other for more veggies. But to do this, I need to sift two garden beds worth of dirt. Not looking forward to this AT ALL! In the end I know it will be worth it, but the thought of it right now is making me ill. So that will wait until next week, most likely. The one thing I do have to finish though are planting my cukes. They are doing really well in their small planters. I had a bed bought a long time ago from craigslist. I planned to use it for my daughter. We ended up going a different route with her bed but I held onto it. It has an old style spring board. So I decided to dig a hole against my house and sink the spring board into the ground. I will then plant the cukes in front of it and let them climb. Yesterday when digging this hole I kept hitting an old bird house that has been here since we moved in. I never fill it and keep forgetting to take it down. Well to my surprise there was a wasp nest inside. I angered the wasp in it when I moved the nest and it literally circled and chased me the remainder of the day. So I still have to plant the cukes, but otherwise, we're good!

No comments: