2010-03-08

Back On Track!

I can't believe the last time I posted was almost an entire year ago. However, my gardening efforts started out galliant last year and ended, well, BAD! So this year, I am once again committing myself to the task of vegetables and gorgeous flowers. One thing has changed..... we've changed our eating habits to about 80% vegetarian..... AND we saw Food Inc, the movie.

My husband has been cooking curry dishes with a LOT of cauliflower and I told him last night how nice it would be to be able to harvest and freeze those cauliflower for all next winter. We've been using tomatoes like they are going out of style (big surprise! Who doesn't!). We visited New Mexico last year and bought one of their dried hot pepper hanging decoration that you also pick off of and use to cook.... so this year, we are hoping to grow enough to make one of those. I am also wanting to grow beans and peas to freeze. I'd LOVE to make cabbage, but not sure if I can get it going so the cabbage worms don't get at them again. Eggplant is a must in this house as well as squash. We've never attempted squash, so that should be interesting. Our newest loves are swiss chard, beet greens, and kale..... all things we hope to get going. This year I'd also like to have a small medicinal herb garden.

Stay tuned. We've got lots of plans for this garden this year...... and thanks to the over 30 inches of snow, I am more ready than EVER!

No comments: